Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Other supporting documents

In order to qualify for a nonimmigrant visa under U.S. immigration law, applicants need to show evidence of their strong economic, social, professional and family ties in the country where they reside.  Persons dependent on their spouses, parents or children should show the ties to the country where they reside of the person(s) supporting them. Applicants will be required to explain and possibly demonstrate how they will finance their visit to the U.S. Applicants for visitor visas should bring any documents they feel show the professional, social, economic and family circumstances which will require them to return to the country where they reside after a short visit to the United States.

For most visa categories, there is no specific list of required documents, as every person's situation is different, but applicants should attempt to document their situation as completely as possible in order to resolve their cases quickly. Applicants may, for example, present marriage certificates, children's birth certificates, invitation letters from US-based companies or individuals, letters from local employers, other evidence of economic status, or any other suitable evidence of their ties in the country they reside.

A notarized invitation letter or form is not required.

Please note that non-immigrant visa applicants are generally not refused simply for lack of a document; if a document is necessary, the consul will request it from the applicant during the interview. 

Tourist Visas (B2)

Tourist visa applicants are NOT required to submit specific documents, but may wish to present the following additional documents at the time they submit their applications:

- Proof of Finance: if someone else will be financing your trip, a bank statement and/or a letter of consent from this person;

- Employment Letter: stating the type of contract, how long you have been employed, your monthly salary, and for how long you have been granted vacation or leave.

Business Visas (B1)

Business visa applicants are NOT required to submit specific documents, but may wish to present the following additional documents at the time they submit their applications:

- Employment Letter: with details about the purpose of your trip, the length, and who will be financing the trip;

- Invitation Letter: from a US based company or organization if you will be attending a conference, or visiting a company. If you are going as a volunteer, a letter of invitation describing the organization you are going to work for can be brought to the interview.

Student Visas (F)

- I-20 Form: issued by your educational institution.  For F1 and M1 students the original I-20 form must be included. Family members seeking F2 and M2 status need their own I-20 form;

- Proof of Payment of SEVIS Fee: Payment instructions can be found at Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) SEVIS I-901.  Do not confuse the SEVIS fee with the applications fee listed earlier. Both fees must be paid.

- Evidence of Funds to Cover Education Expenses: For example: scholarship letter or bank statement;

- General Evidence of Ties to Azerbaijan.

Exchange Visa (J)

- DS-2019: for J1 Exchange Visitor (includes au pairs) status you must include the original DS-2019 form. Family members seeking J2 status need their own copies of the DS-2019 form;

- General Evidence of Ties to Azerbaijan;

- SEVIS Fee: in some cases, the SEVIS fee also applies.  See Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) SEVIS I-901 

Temporary Work Visa (H,L)

- I-797 Work Permit: Applicants for H or L visas must submit original approval notices from USCIS. If the applicant's family will accompany him or her, they must present an original marriage certificate and birth certificates of children to prove family relationship.

Treaty Investors (E-2 visa)

- Company Approval Letter: E-2 visa applicants need to submit documents proving the qualification of their company for E-2 status. For more information please visit Department of Homeland Security.

Dependants of work visa applicants applying separately need to send a copy of one of the objects stated above, together with a copy of the principal applicant's visa and civil documents (marriage certificate or birth certificate) proving the family relationship.

Crew Visa (C1/D)

- Employment Letter: Stating your name, occupation and length of employment. Please note that citizens of Azerbaijan should apply for two separate visas in this case.  

Media Visa (I)

- Employment Letter: stating employment status, whether your position is permanent or temporary, your purpose of travel and length of stay. You must also bring proof of membership in a professional journalistic organization. Freelance media workers must also submit a valid contract of employment.

Medical Treatment

Medical services in the United States are very expensive. U.S. law prohibits the issuance of a visa to anyone in danger of becoming a public charge, including individuals who will require medical care at the expense of federal, state, or local government agencies. If you wish to seek medical care in the U.S., you will have to present certain documentation during your interview at the Embassy.

  • Evidence of Medical Condition
  • Documentation of Medical Appointment: We require a letter from a doctor or a hospital in the United States certifying that you have been accepted for treatment. The letter should include the estimated cost of proposed treatment and, if necessary, hospitalization. You should also present a letter from your doctor here describing your illness and prognosis. A fax copy is acceptable.
  • Evidence of Funds: Applicants must also show that they have the means to pay for the necessary course of treatment, not only the preliminary exam.   You may provide: evidence of your own ability to pay for treatment, such as a letter from your employer, evidence of bank savings or other liquid investments; an affidavit of support from a U.S. citizen or resident confirming both his or her wish and ability to pay for the treatment. The affidavit should demonstrate sufficient income and/or other financial resources to enable your sponsor to pay for the treatment. A copy of a bank statement or other financial documents should be included as proof of ability to meet the proposed expenses.  If appropriate, you may also provide a letter from your prospective doctor and/or hospital, indicating that all the expenses will be covered by doctor and/or hospital. For more information, see Information for Applicants Requiring Medical Treatment in the U.S.