Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Family Emergencies

Family Emergencies

If your family needs to contact you because of an emergency at home, they may call the Office of American Citizens Services at (202) 647-5225/5226.  The State Department will relay any message to us and we will attempt to contact you.  If you are registered, and if you have signed a Privacy Act waiver, we will be able to provide information about you to your family.  They may also call the State Department’s Overseas Citizens Services office at 1-888-407-4747 (or from overseas: 202 501-4444) for information on emergency services.  For more information on what the State Department can do in case of an emergency abroad see Emergencies and Crisis page. 

Financial Emergencies

When a U.S. citizen encounters an emergency financial situation abroad, the Department of State’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services (OCS) can establish a Trust account in the citizen's name in order to forward funds overseas.  There is a non-refundable $30 Trust processing fee.  Upon receipt of funds, OCS will transfer the money to us for disbursement to the recipient, who must contact the Consular Section directly to arrange receipt. Read the details at Sending Money to U.S. Citizens Overseas.